Do you want to avoid becoming the office legend for all the wrong reasons this holiday season? I certainly do, so here are some tips for avoiding being “that girl” at this year’s company holiday party.
1. Avoid excessive drinking!!! Even though it might be free and endless, don’t fall into the trap of double fisting all night. This will only lead to trouble. Avoid mixing drinks and make sure you alternate alcoholic with non alcoholic beverages, preferably with a ration of 1:2.
2. Don’t complain! This is a time to celebrate the company’s success; nobody wants to hear your negative thoughts on the venue or the food or what you would have done if you were on the planning committee.
3. Don’t bring your husband or girlfriend if the invitation did not specifically say so. This could cause an embarrassing situation when your plus one is asked to leave.
4. Avoid excessive eating. Don’t follow the canapés tray around like a lost dog, there will be plenty of food at dinner and if not, grab a snack before the party.
5. Even if you are not overjoyed about attending your company’s holiday party, make sure you at least make an appearance, circulate the room and talk to all the relevant people. Your boss will be impressed that you made an effort to be there.
6. Security cameras are everywhere – just because you are alone doesn’t mean someone is not watching what you are doing.
Most importantly, you should remember that you are still at work. After a few drinks you may be inclined to share too much personal information with colleagues and even worse, your boss. Keep yourself in check and remember rumours spread quickly and overheard conversations are easily taken out of context.