Valentine’s Day is just around the corner which means roses currently cost and arm and a leg, and restaurants throughout the city have been booked up for months. Never fear, it’s not too late to do something sweet without breaking the bank! Here are some ideas to get you through the most romantic day of the year:
1. Dinner at home – Nothing says “You’re worth it” like a home cooked, gourmet meal (especially if you don’t usually cook). Set the mood with candles, music, and champagne to make it special and don’t forget dessert!
2. The mixed tape – it’s a throwback to the old days when cassette tapes and Walkmans ruled! Bring it into the 21st Century with a mixed CD or iTunes playlist full of songs that remind you of all the great times you’ve shared.
3. Personalized candy hearts – All you need are blank conversation hearts, edible ink and a steady hand to send your partner a special message. If you can’t find blank hearts then use the backside of the pre-printed hearts so each letter has a message. For those that like a bit of mystery, place all the hearts together in a container and have your Valentine decode the message themselves.
4. Play Tourist – scope out some great deals around your city and show each other some hidden gems. Tourism Vancouver always has great ideas for events and specials around town.
5. Group Night – this is a great idea for singles and anyone who is anti-Valentine’s Day! Plan a fun activity like lazer tag, go-carting, or mini golf with a large group of friends. February 14th doesn’t just have to be about couples – it’s about celebrating all types of relationships.
Whatever way you decide to go, make sure it’s fun for everyone involved! What’s your favourite way to celebrate?